Client: Yale University
Completion Date: 2007
The existing historic Hill House mansion at 158 Whitney Avenue was originally a private residence, built in 1835 and long ago converted to academic use. To meet the growing demands of the Department of Anthropology TSKP STUDIO was commissioned to design an expansion and renovation. It was the desire of the Yale University that the addition be simple and discreet, in order to cause the minimum impact on this neighborhood. The architects planned a new atrium stair placed between the old and new creates a cohesive floor plan of one large mansion with central stair. TSKP STUDIO designed an exterior clad in a warm colored stone and a stucco finish with slate framing at each window opening. The detailing is crisp and contemporary while the mass, scale and color is similar to the original. The expanded and renovated facility supports graduate and undergraduate programs with dissection laboratories, specimen storage, academic teaching spaces, and administrative offices. During majore renovation and re-construction the original building was lifted onto temporary supports in order to remove and rebuild the basements into fully functional spaces. Ultimately, the building was fully stripped to its framing, insulated and resided with a horizontal, tongue-in-groove wood siding consistent with its original finish. The original building also received a new heating, ventilating and air-conditioning system, with state-of-the-art energy management and controls system.