Client: Town of West Hartford
Completion Date: 2006
This new school for 500 students (grades 6-8) preserves and incorporates a 12,000 sq. ft. craftsman-style residential structure originally designed in 1900 by Edward T. Hapgood. The Shepard House and surrounding tree-lined neighborhood are on the National Register of Historic Places. The clean lines of the new 72,000 sq. ft. structure form a striking and complementary backdrop for the house. Careful site planning and organization of space protect the open space on this tight 5.4 acre site and provide views of the tree-lined street. A two-story atrium sensitively connects the new structure to the 1900's structure, which was converted to library, administrative and offices for the school. The school includes a 300-seat auditorium and employs 17,000 sq. ft. of underground parking to retain green space. This is the first new school to be built by the town in 30 years. For the project, TSKP STUDIO won three awards: the AIA/CT Design Honor Award, the 9th Annual Impact on Learning Award presented by the Council of Educational Facility Planners Institute and First Place Award in West Hartford’s Ninth Annual Historic Preservation Award.