Lathrop Hall Adaptive Renovation
Client: Colgate University
Completion Date: 2012
The 2012 phase of work on Lathrop Hall brings to a conclusion the transformation of the once distinctive 48,000 sf academic building on Colgate’s main academic quad. The building was originally built in 1906 to house science labs and classrooms and originally featured a central double-height museum space with surrounding balcony, multi-story arched windows and a central skylight and light monitor. However, a 1970’s renovation covered over these elements which had been hidden for the past 40 years. The multi-phase renovation of the building uncovers and features some of the building’s original architectural charm, such as vaulted ceilings, plaster ornamentation, two-story windows and ornamental railings, while transforming antiquated spaces into contemporary technology-equipped and climate controlled environments. New skylights are reintroduced and insulation added to the roof underside. Consistent with the University’s commitment to sustainable design for all major projects, this project is designed to achieve LEED Certification. Once again, the building features a large central skylit area with an adjacent technology enriched multi-purpose room that promotes and facilitates interdepartmental programs and intellectual inquiry in both formal and informal gatherings.